Kahungunu meeting house at Nūhaka has some magnificent Māori and carving portraying the history and stories of the early people, in the many carvings, scroll patterns and panel weaving. It was built and paid for by the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints as a tribute to the local Ngāti Rakaipaka, a sub tribe of Ngāti Kahungunu who sponsored the annual Easter Conference (hui tai) for the church during the World War 2 (1940-1945).
All carving and panel work were done by return servicemen and women. The meeting house was dedicated and opened in 1949. The church maintained the meeting house until 1978. The building and the Marae area was then gifted to the Nūhaka community. Since then, it has been registered as a community Marae and been used as the focal point by the people of Nūhaka.
Please be respectful and stay on the street when looking at Marae. Also, don’t take photos without prior approval!
6 Mataira St, Nūhaka
|Physical Address:||9 Paul Street, Wairoa 4108|
|Postal Address:||PO Box 54, Wairoa 4160, Hawke’s Bay|
|Weekdays||8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|Weekends and public holidays||10:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|CLOSED Christmas Day|
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© - www.visitwairoa.co.nz / +64 6 838 7440 / firstname.lastname@example.org