Wairoa0800 924 762
Kahungunu meeting house at Nuhaka has some magnificent Maori and carving portraying the history and stories of the early people, in the many carvings, scroll patterns and panel weaving. It was built and paid for by the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints as a tribute to the local Ngati Rakaipaka, a sub tribe of Ngati Kahungunu who sponsored the annual Easter Conference (hui tai) for the church during the World War 2 (1940-1945).
All carving and panel work were done by return servicemen and women. The meeting house was dedicated and opened in 1949. The church maintained the meeting house until 1978. The building and the Marae area was then gifted to the Nuhaka community. Since then, it has been registered as a community Marae and been used as the focal point by the people of Nuhaka.
Take state highway 2 towards Gisborne road until it reaches Nuhaka settlement. Continue straight ahead, taking the first turn on the right down Ihaka St. The marae is at the next intersection which is Mataira St. The marae is signposted from the main raod