View our local brochures
- Mahia Surfing Spots
- Pedallers Paradise
- Portland Island Lighthouse
- Wairoa Fishing Spots
- Wairoa Historical Buildings
The centre is located on the corner of State
Highway 2 and Queen Street in Wairoa.
• 8am - 5pm
Weekends and public holidays
• 10am-11am and
• 3.15pm - 4.00pm
CLOSED Christmas Day
Wairoa0800 924 762
Blacks Beach is renowned for its surfing and fishing.
Bremdale Garden Of Eden
Bremdale has an atmosphere of old world charm – everywhere there is a perfume and surprises to enhance the beauty of the gardens.
Coast Park Gardens
Coast Park Gardens is a 2.5 hectare country garden and orchard farmed by a beautiful backdrop of large deciduous trees.
Coronation Reserve, just to the south of the boat ramps at Whangawehi, is where a large number of Maori were baptised into the Christian faith in 1842. The nearby hollow rock was used as a baptismal font and across the road is a recess in the rock face where it is said the records were kept.
Frasertown is a small settlement with a long history. It was originally an armed constabulary outpost. Frasertown store is a good place to stop for a cold refreshment on a hot day as well as a general household supplies. Frasertown tavern is a local public house where there is entertainment some weekends. The town once had a theatre and many shops and was a thriving horticultural area in the early days of the country. The cemetery and the Christ Church Anglican Church, which is over 100 years old, are both worth a visit.
The Gaiety Theatre was Wairoa’s first cinema. It was originally built in 1928, collapsed in the 1931 earthquake but was quickly rebuilt.
From the Wairoa Visitor Information Centre take State Highway 2 heading south towards Napier. Haliburton Rd is on your left, just past Kotemaori Settlement. The signposted road is located just past the Willowflat Rd Forestry Headquarters.
Kahungunu meeting house at Nuhaka has some magnificent Maori and carving portraying the history and stories of the early people tribes, in the many carving, scroll patterns and panel weaving. It was built and paid for by the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints as a tribute the local Ngati Rakaipaka, a sub tribe of Ngati Kahungunu who sponsored the annual Easter Conference (hui tai) for the church during the World War 2 years (1940-1945)
Lake Waikaremoana on the south eastern boundary of the majestic Te Urewera National Park, is 67km from Wairoa and 160km from Rotorua on State Highway 38.
Mahanga is a white sandy beach, great for walking, collecting shells and beach fishing.